Sunday, May 18, 2014

"Almost Palmetto" Pimento Cheese


"Almost Palmetto" Pimento Cheese

Remember when I mentioned Palmetto Pimento Cheese in my engagement post?  I knew I would have pimento cheese withdrawals and they have certainly set in. This past week I set out to make a pimento cheese that would be my Idaho substitute!

And I think I have found it.

I started out with the highly rated Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe on allrecipes.com.  It has 171 reviews and almost 5 stars...always a great sign it's a recipe worth your time.  The first batch I made was wonderful but I altered the recipe this time to get more of a palmetto-like pimento cheese.

Ingredients:

1 lb block extra sharp cheddar cheese (will make about 4 cups)
4 oz cream cheese, softened  (half a block and I used fat free)
1 heaping tablespoon of mayo  (low-fat works fine)
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 4 oz jar diced pimentos, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Boise has many options for cheeses.  I've had fun experimenting.  I no longer buy the pre-shredded cheeses.  They often have additives and powder that takes away the natural moisture of cheese.  I love my cheese to be spreadable.  Thankfully my new food processor makes shredding amazingly easy.


See how amazing this looks?


I always chop the pimentos smaller than what they appear in the jar so they go further in the spread.  I certainly used more than most people would in this last recipe but Hunter and I both LOVE pimentos!


Beat the cream cheese, mayo and spices in the mixer first. Then add shredded cheese and lastly the pimentos so they are not completely obliterated.



This is my method of choice for eating my pimento cheese...wheat thins!


Enjoy!

Love my new Lenox French Perle Bead Plates!


1 comment:

  1. Yumm! Having just returned from a SC trip I was having withdrawals too. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete