Sunday, July 22, 2012

O'Carr's Copycat Cheesecake Recipe - Take 1


I did it! Thanks for the encouragement.  Tonight I tried a fudge-filled cheesecake in an effort to mimic the O'Carr's cheesecake recipe.  I admit I need to give it another try but wanted to go ahead and post my first attempt to see if any of you have suggestions/recommendations.  I found a Southern-Living recipe from 1998...Warm Fudge-Filled Cheesecake Recipe.  It sounded similar enough to compare.   I will walk you through the steps I documented with photos.  Taking these pictures, I realized it had been quite some time since I photo-documented my adventures.  Each time I intend to bake in the morning to use natural light, but it never works out.



I've become an advocate of lining pans with parchment paper.  Since I've starting using parchment paper I haven't had a cake stick to the pan!

This is really unrelated to this post but I took this picture to admire my new mixer spatula for my Kitchenaid.  I debated the purchase for about 6 months before I took the plunge.  I still scrape the bowl here and there but it is totally worth it!

One thing is certain, the crust is HEAVENLY.  I highly recommend it for ANY cheesecake recipe.  It was not terribly easy spreading the dough, however.  I floured my fingers to keep the stickiness at a minimum!

It amazes me how cheesecake batter becomes so light and fluffy!
Next time I would use maybe a ganache?  My chocolate chips did not melt enough!

...a picture of the 12 oz package of mini chips.  I could use more!

The pan is full.  At a point (during baking) it rose above the sides of the pan!

This is the first time a cheesecake of mine didn't crack.  Although it did get a huge bubble (hence the brown blob).

Sadly it was not done in the center.  At 350 degrees it was browning so I turned it to 325 half through and baked it for 7 extra minutes.  I needed to bake it an extra 15.  Next time I will try that.  

Just another picture...

The baker has to sample, you know, for pictures!

I cannot figure out how O'Carr's is able to get such a clean slice.  Oh,  I bet I know.  I didn't have the patience to let it cool before I dove in!


O'Carr's Cheesecake Recipe: Fudge-filled Warm Cheesecake

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla, divided
  • (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temp/softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate mini-morsels (next time I think I will take it a step further and melt a ganache)
Directions:
  • Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add 1/3 cup sugar, beating well. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Press into bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. (I was not successful spreading the crust 1 1/2 inches up the sides.  I did mine at 3/4' and it was just fine!)
  • Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
  • Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla. (Do not overmix.)
  • Pour half of batter into crust; sprinkle with chocolate morsels to within 3/4 inch of edge. Pour in remaining batter, starting at outer edge and working toward center. Place cheesecake on a baking sheet.
  • Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until set. (Mine was browning too much on 350 so I turned it to 325 half through. I would add 15 minutes if you did that).  Cool on a wire rack 1 hour.
  • Serve slightly warm with sweetened whipped cream, if desired. I suggest the microwave for about 25 seconds a slice!
***Do you like O'Carr's chicken salad?  I do! I do!  Julie and I tried the recipe here.  ***

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley. Having worked there for close to two years, baking cheesecakes was part of my duties. You might try using only egg whites. The other ingredients are well cited. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet. I'm now living in Idaho and married to a guy who doesn't like cheesecake...yet. I'm determined to convert him. In fact, I think I'll make this using your suggestion over the holidays! Thanks, Deb!

      Delete