Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ice, Ice (Cream) Baby


  


If you've spoken with me lately about my baking and cooking adventures you know my FAVORITE new purchase...my Cuisinart ice cream maker.  I was terrible any time it came to using rock salt so I rarely used my old maker.

Example A) I was always out of rock salt when I needed it B) I killed my grass once and C) It rusted parts of my washing machine once when the ice melted and it overflowed out of the side of my old maker.

Solution: Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker

My friend received it as a wedding gift and served some ice cream from it at her house.  The canister itself freezes the ice cream in MINUTES.  Ashley was quite the saleswoman because I bought it the next day.  In fact,  I know 3 other people who have one now due to my love of this gadget.  It is actually reasonably priced.  I purchased mine from Williams Sonoma because they had a rebate offer and were selling it with an extra container.  It comes with a 1.5 qt canister so I figured 2 would be good to have.  And I was correct.  I always have a cylinder cold in the freezer.   (There is a larger, nicer and more expensive 2 qt stainless).  

I have a boyfriend who LOVES ice cream so I found myself buying it often and keeping it in the freezer.  Lucky for me, I can resist ice cream.  (Well, I could.)  Having two quarts lets me try different kinds.  My favorite by far are from the recipe Ashley gave me (although the ones from the booklet are amazing too).  I will put them on here to share with you and so I never, never, ever lose them. 


Vanilla Ice Cream  (base I use for both recipes below)

2 cups cream
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 dash salt
2 tsp vanilla

  • Combine cream and milk in saucepan and bring to a boil. 
  • Meanwhile combine eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and beat for 3 minutes until fluffy.  
  • When cream and milk reach a boil, immediately turn off the heat.
  • Temper the eggs; pour in about a cup of the hot cream into the eggs (verrrry slowly) while the mixer is running.  Repeat with another cup of hot cream.  Go slow and make sure the mixer is on.  
  • After it is all mixed together, pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining hot cream.  Crank up the heat until the temp reaches 170 (usually is a minute for me).  
  • Turn the heat off, stir in the vanilla, and stick the mixture in the frig overnight or in the freezer for a couple hours.  After the mixture is cold, mix it in the ice cream maker for 20ish minutes, adding in cookie cough or other topings last minute once the ice cream is pretty much set.  Put into a tupperware and store,


Safe Cookie Dough - makes twice as much as what you need so keep some in the freezer OR eat it all like I do - with a little help from HTH


4 T butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 c white sugar
1 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/ tsp soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips processed (I sometimes just take a chocolate bar and put it into my food processor!)

  • Cream butter vanilla and sugars in a mixing bowl for a couple minutes until fluffy.  In another bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda,  Stir.  Add flour mixture into creamy butter mixture.  Mix.  Add Chocolate chips.  Mix.  Shape into a long 1/2 inch wide snake.  Cut little 1/2 pieces and put into a bowl in the frig or freezer.  

Mint Chocolate Chip

Crush up a hershey candy bar into the processor and I usually put about 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract into the mix at the end.  If I get ambitious I add green coloring. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment