Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cake Failure Turned Work-of-Art Trifle

I am a little rusty on my cake decorating.  If you followed me when I started this blog you remember my cakes at the time were looking more like this:


This is my cake on Thursday.  The cake turned out ok but the icing...well...you see what happened.  I have been told this happened because of the low fat butter and cream cheese I used.  If anyone knows, please tell me.  Cream cheese icing is what I was going for...with strawberries added.


I was to take this cake to work for Good Friday.  Keep in mind this happened Thursday at lunch so I wasn't sure exactly what to do.  I had plans that night.  When speaking with "the other Shelly" in my office,  it dawned on me.  TRIFLE!  Hunter was with me that night so we had a trifle lesson.  I obviously didn't describe it well when I described it because Hunter told me it sounded like a parfait!  Come to think of it, it is like a giant parfait, without the ice cream.  According to Wikipedia:

Trifle is a dessert dish made from thick (or often solidified) custardfruitsponge cake, fruit juice or gelatin, and whipped cream. These ingredients are usually arranged in alternating layers.

I took my strawberry trifle recipe Mom makes using angel food cake and made it my own.  I must say, it turned out fabulous.  It had a strawberry shortcake theme.  SO I am calling it my

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle

Layer 1 - Stawberry Cake (I used the Paula Dean Recipe)
Layer 2 - Cool whip (Yes, I used light even though that is what got me in trouble to begin with.)
Layer 3 - Pudding - 2.5 cups milk, large box vanilla pudding, and 8 oz of sour cream (trust me on this)
Repeat

Garnish the top with strawberries.  Hunter jumped in and helped with the decorating.  He even got creative with the icing-which tasted fabulous.


Brody wanted nothing to do with the strawberries.  Here he is snubbing the strawberry...or maybe it was the camera. :)


Who knows, maybe next time I will make this dessert on purpose!

1 comment:

  1. I happen to know it was delicious!!! Shell brought what was left home for Easter and I've eaten WAY too much! This is so much better than my recipe using angel food cake! Thanks, Shell!

    ReplyDelete