Friday, August 31, 2012

"Neiman Marcus" Oatmeal/Chocolate Chip Cookies


I will never forget the time I googled this recipe instead of going to my recipe book.  I ended up with  112 cookies. I should have known better but it was in my early baking days.  Even halved, like the recipe below, makes plenty of cookies (about 4-5 dozen!).  I usually freeze a log for later and/or for use it in Hunter's cookie dough ice cream.  


If you are not familiar with this recipe, you must try it.  It's a mix of my oatmeal crispies and a chocolate chip cookie.


Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe

  • 1 cup unsalted room temp or softened butter 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour 
  • 2.5 cups blended oatmeal (I use my food processor to make it into a powder)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces chocolate chips (I use 10 oz Trade Joes semi-sweet chunks, my favorite)
  • 4 oz grated chocolate bar (Hersheys, Ghirardelli, etc - I use the food processor)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
My food processor gets to work on the oatmeal.

AND the chocolate bar because I am lazy....

  • Preheat the oven for 375 degrees.
  • Grease your insulated cookie sheets.
  • Cream the butter and both sugars, stopping to scrape the bowl.
  • Add eggs and vanilla.
  • Mix together with oatmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and soda 
  • Add chocolate chips, grated hershey bar and nuts (optional).  Stir by hand (your workout).
The mixer gets full!  Mix in chips by hand to save the motor. The batter is stiff.


To freeze a log I lay it out on wax paper and wrap it/smush it as I roll.
This will go into a cookie dough ice cream recipe eventually (Yes, I know it has raw eggs).  I have also cooked from the frozen logs and they taste just wonderful. 
I am always curious how the cookies spread for recipes and how many you can fit on a sheet.  So, just for you, I included the not-so-glamorous yet handy photos.



Bake 10 minutes or 375 degrees until the tops begin to turn golden.

Let sit for a couple minutes before moving to a cooking rack.  Enjoy with a big glass of milk!









8 comments:

  1. Shelley! You will never believe how I stumbled across your blog... doing a google search for O'Carr's chicken salad! Someone had pinned your recipe and you had commented on it... and I thought, I know her! And here I am... to tell you that these were THE chocolate chip cookies I made all through college and after, so, so good! I was introduced to a different ccc recipe that I am now using as my go-to, but this will always be a favorite! So glad to have found your cooking blog... and your art one! xoxo Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is INSANE how many people have found my blog that way. Here I was thinking only about 5 of my friends follow it. It REALLY ramped up thanks to Pinterest and some people who pinned my recipe!

      And you KNOW you best send me the chocolate chip recipe you use now. CCC are my WEAKNESS!

      Delete
    2. It is another one that originated in New York, published a few years ago in the New York Times. Here is the link to the original recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html?ref=dining. The friend who sent it to me also sent this blogger's entry with some tips, all of which I used: http://orangette.blogspot.com/2008/07/bold-statement.html. They are not too hard to make, but they require a few days time in your fridge, so some advance prep is needed. But otherwise, super easy and DELICIOUS, you can ask Meagan! And because it is interesting, here is the article the NYT did in search of the perfect ccc recipe, a very good read: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html?ref=dining. Enjoy!!!

      Delete
    3. YES! Thanks, Anita. Looks like I will be making some chocolate chips in my near future. :) (If Meagan agrees, then I have no doubt because that girl can also cook/bake!)

      Delete
  2. What size scoop would you say you used? A cookie scoop or ice cream scoop maybe? They look really large but you never know with a picture. I’m making these today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly use a regular size spoon to scoop! The pictures make them look larger!

      Delete
  3. Also, do you still live this recipe or have you found a new favorite? Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A decade later I still list this as my top 3! It has that slightly salty sweet mix I love!

      Delete