Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Shrimp Scampi With Roasted Peppers and Spinach

This is one of my top 5 recipes and... it was a Publix Apron recipe I found on a trip to the grocery after work one day.  It's a great way to sneak in some veggies.  Like many recipes, we eat this for 2 nights (woo hoo).  I don't always measure exactly with this recipe and that is ok.





Shrimp Scampi with Roasted Red Peppers and Spinach
(altered just SLIGHTLY from the Publix website)

Ingredients

3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (before we discovered the Boise market I would use the jarred

minced garlic)
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
8 oz linguine pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup roasted red peppers, finely chopped
12 oz peeled/deveined shrimp, thawed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (or stock)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I reduced it from 3 - it's not needed although it does take
 some bite out of the kick if you choose to do all 3 T.)
4 cups baby spinach leaves (6 oz)

Prep

  • Bring water to boil for pasta.
  • Slice garlic.
  • Chop peppers.
  • Grate cheese (1/3 cup).
*Most of the work is prep.  Be sure you have it all ready because once you start, it goes fast!  
In fact, I line my ingredients up for this one and it is done start to end in 15 minutes.


Steps


*It is also good to note this has kick.  So if you want less kick lessen the spicy peppers or red 

pepper flakes.


  1. Cook and drain pasta following package instructions.
  2. Preheat large sauté pan (we use our lovely new wedding gift!) on medium 1–2 minutes. 
  3. Place oil and garlic in pan; cook 3–4 minutes or until the garlic edges begin to turn golden.
  4. Add peppers, shrimp, pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir 1 min.
  5. Add broth; cook 2–3 minutes or until reduced by about one-half and shrimp have just turned pink
  6. (It never reduces that quick for me but I like liquid so I am ok with it.)
  7. Reduce heat to low; stir in butter, spinach, cheese, pasta, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. 
  8. Toss until butter and cheese melts and spinach wilts. Serve.


This garlic is "polish gem."  I will take a picture of the sweet garlic farmers next time we go.  
They have quite a selection.  I never knew there were so many types.  Spanish rojo is another one of our favs.


Trader Joes made up for the Publix loss.  I am addicted to these peppers. I stuff them with blue cheese for snack!
  I use about 6 for the recipe. 

This is a Fred Meyer find.  If you know me and shrimp, you know I am picky where my shrimp comes from.  
No Thailand farmed shrimp for me.  Blame it on a movie I watched re: food in grad school.  
This bag of shrimp retails (its been on sale) for $4.  I kid you not.  Thank you, Fred Meyer.


I like to chop the spinach up in smaller pieces if they are large leaves so it is spread out further and 
I don't notice I am eating leaves (I am weird like that).


Isn't it a beautiful dish?!

No comments:

Post a Comment