Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Pumpkin Chip Cookies


Every year, about this time, I get a craving for these pumpkin chip cookies.  Let's be honest...I crave them year round. But this time of year I find an excuse to make them more often.  Some places only carry pumpkin seasonally (ahhem Trader Joes) and some all year.  So if you cannot find it, don't give up.  In Albertsons it is by the pie fillings and not by candied yams and sweet potatoes like one would think.  This was one of the first recipes I discovered on pinterest circa 2011.  I have made it my own.

The cookies can be described by having a hint of pumpkin. Even those that do not like pumpkin like this recipe.  They are very cake-like and fluffy (so leave room on your cookie sheet for them to spread). Think of them as muffin tops.  If you don't care for butterscotch you substitute 2 cups of chocolate chips (I prefer half and half).

Pumpkin Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon

2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup canola oil
i cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Steps:

Preheat your oven to 325.

In a separate bowl, mix the first section of dry ingredients.

In your mixer on medium speed (with the paddle attachment), beat eggs and sugar until light yellow (almost 2 minutes).   Turn to slow speed and mix in oil, vanilla and pumpkin.

Add your dry ingredients until just combined (about a minute).

Fold in chocolate/butterscotch chips.

*I used two baking sheets, one insulated and one not, to see which I preferred.  I would NOT use insulated.  They cook more thoroughly and stay together better.  I even think they rise better using a traditional cookie sheet.*



Using your 1/4 measuring cup, make about 10 cookies per baking sheet. Don't fill up the cup entirely.  I did 8 per sheet (2 sheets) and they were entirely too large (even for me).  If you did 10 a sheet, the recipe will yield about 20 cookies.  They pour out quite nicely.

Bake in the oven for about 16 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the baking sheet.


The picture above shows the cake and muffin-like consistency.

ENJOY!  



1 comment: