Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Best-of-Both-Worlds Cookie Recipe (the brownie cookie)

  

This weekend I visit my sissy.  She is a Halloween baby so I thought I might as well surprise her with cookies for her birthday - and ones that travel well.  She has already tried these cookies, which are still my favorite chocolate chip cookies to date.  SO I googled for recipes that include two ingredients I had purchased at the local farmer's market.  Hunter has been wanting to use them as bad as I have!  


I hit the jackpot with this recipe.   Lately I started to blog only recipes I've done a few times to make sure they are tested.  But these are too good not to share.  They are sure to satisfy a chocolate craving with a rich, chocolately taste.  I am a cookie and brownie girl, so naturally, these are the "best of both worlds."  

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Dutched cocoa flour (not your typical Hersheys!)
3/4 tsp baking soda (always use this with dutch process)
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup packed DARK brown sugar (keeps moisture)
1/2 cup honey
7 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I use trader joes pieces)
1/4 c granulated sugar

Steps:

Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl.  

It turns out the coolest color!
In a separate mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy (about 2 minutes).

Then add honey and beat again.

I was fascinated so of course I took e  picture.
Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture until well combined.

Then add chocolate pieces.  The batter is a beautiful, rich color.  This cell phone night picture doesn't do it justice.


Now, like many good recipes, you refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.

Go ahead and preheat your oven to 325 and use this time to clean the kitchen!

........fast forward 30 minutes.

I used two large cookie sheets (both insulated and non and I don't have a preference).  Shape into tablespoon-sized balls.  

Sprinkle the top with coarse sugar (of course this is optional but does make them look special).  

Place a couple inches apart.  They do flatten out while baking. 

Now, like a brownie, you do not want to over bake.  I made mine large and 9 minutes was plenty.  You want to get them just as they begin to set and the tops start to crack.

Let cool on a wire rack.

I will leave you with one more picture....ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment