Saturday, October 11, 2014

Broccoli Beef Stir Fry


Broccoli Beef Stir Fry

It's taken me awhile to post this recipe even though we've been enjoying it for quite some time.  It takes quite a few steps but the flavors pay off.  Once the prep is over, the actual cooking part is quick!  Also, I might add that I have just discovered Jasmine Rice.  If you haven't tried it, now is the time.  It takes longer than '5 minute rice' but just set it on the stove to cook while you assemble the stir fry (or microwave it) and you won't be sorry!  It has great flavor.

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 lb flank or sirloin, sliced thinly and evenly across the grain
  • 1 lb broccoli florets
  • 2 T sesame oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 2 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoon water


Marinade
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp Chinese rice wine (dry sherry or sake)
  • 1/2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Sauce
  • 4 T oyster sauce
  • 2 tsp Chinese rice wine (dry sherry or sake)
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth

Some of these ingredients may sound foreign but you can buy them at most grocery stores (Publix and Albertsons).  I have cooking sherry I will use in a pinch but was having trouble finding Chinese rice wine the other day.  The wine sommelier at Albertsons suggested Sake.  She uses it as a substitute and really is a version of rice wine (also made with rice). Oyster sauce is labeled "flavored" many times.  It has other ingredients like fish sauce in the ingredients.  I thought that was interesting. 

Sake and oyster sauce examples...some oyster sauces pour out of the bottle better than others.  This is my favorite.

Steps:

Cook rice according to instructions.  (Again, jasmine is my favorite.)

Prepare the marinade and let meat sit in a medium sized mixing bowl while you prepare the remaining ingredients.

Blanch the broccoli (cook in boiling water for about 2 minutes until bright green and then pour out the water).

Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.  You will need this located by the stove along with the broccoli for "go" time.

Now, for "go" time.  I suggest you use the largest skillet you have.  I'm never able to cook all the meat at one time so you may want a plate near as you finish rounds of the meat.  My Cuisinart nonstick is HUGE, too!

I found high heat will borderline cause a grease fire on my stove so I usually cook on heat around 7/8 on my electric stove.  Make sure the skillet is heated before you add the sesame oil and meat!

Add the meat in layers to the pan, making sure they do not touch.  Cook on each side about 2 minutes.  This is why you want your meat even and thin.  It helps you cook evenly and quickly.

Add your garlic when finishing the meat...for about 30 seconds.

Add broccoli and sauce and bring to a boil.

Pour in dissolved cornstarch and cook until thickened.  The more it sits, the thicker the sauce will become.

Enjoy.  I hope you like it as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment