Saturday, July 11, 2009

Monkey Bread

Monkey Bread

Non-stick cooking spray
4 packages refrigerated, butter-flavored biscuits
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 T maple syrup


This is, by far, the best recipe for Monkey Bread - in my opinion, of course. I am not sure where the recipe came from (probably mom or the internet) but it is impossible to mess up. There are some recipes with homemade dough but this particular one uses refrigerated dough. This recipe is so easy, that I woke up early before work in order to bring it to the baby shower on Friday. Monkey bread is always best when it is warm. Yuuuum.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You will need an angle food cake pan or a bundt pan. I love bundt pans, myself! It looks beautiful on my new, white cake plate!

2. Take 1/2 c. sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon and mix in a bowl. Break each biscuit into 3-4 pieces, roll into the bowl of sugar/cinnamon mix, and place into the pan. I actually like the biscuit pieces larger rather than smaller. They pull apart easier and it takes less time to roll them in the sugar/cinnamon mix. This is the longest step, really.

3. Melt 1/2 cup butter in the microwave. Stir in another cup sugar, tsp. cinnamon and a tablespoon of syrup. The original recipe calls for a teaspoon of syrup but I would rather have too much of this mixture than not enough.

4. Pour the mixture over the biscuit pieces in the bundt pan. Make sure to pour it through the cracks! I used 5 cans of smaller sizes biscuits and it worked fine EXCEPT for the overspill of the syrup in my oven. Darn, I forgot about that mess until now.

5. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let it sit for about 5 minutes before you remove the cake from the pan.

You are done! It should look like this.

Before:


After:

(Don't you just love these decorations for a baby shower at my office? The flowers are from a coworker's yard and they are put in baby bottles!)

Are you as curious as I am about WHY it is called Monkey Bread? I googled it. Like I do everything. To find out more: click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment