Thursday, July 23, 2009

Disappearing Brownies

After this morning, I verified this recipe is a. blog material and b. lives up to its name. It is not necessarily your typical brownie. It does, however, disappear. It did from my office kitchen by 10:00...am. I got comments such as "this is the best brownie I've EVER had" and "it's ooey gooey goodness."

I owe a big thanks to Catherine and the Jones family for this recipe. In fact, I do believe her Mom wrote me this recipe awhile back. It wasn't until we were together this weekend that I ate a brownie and KNEW I must bake it for myself. And soon.

So last night that is what I did...

Disappearing Brownies

1/2 c. butterscotch pieces
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c. miniature marshmellows
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/4 chopped nuts (optional of course)


Grease a 9 inch square pan. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. (When doing this the first time I found out the hard way I had monkey bread juice in the bottom of the oven that would take some TLC.)

In a double broiler, over medium heat, melt butterscotch pieces with butter. Stir constantly and pay close attention. (Those that know me know I like to leave pots unattended...!)



Remove from heat and cool to luke warm. Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, egg and vanilla. Mix well.

Once cooled, fold in marshmellows, nuts, and chocolate pieces. If it is not cool, it will all create a gooey mess. This happened to me. It still tastes fabulous but the consistency is almost too gooey. I found the chocolate pieces I just love. I had never seen these before.



Spread the mixture in the pan....



Bake 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes...



Do not overbake. The center will be jiggly but becomes firm on cooling.



This blog took entirely too long to write. I blame a little distraction called....


(totally worth it!!!!!)

6 comments:

  1. Where are the pecans in it?! And why did you use a double boiler? You really did not watch my make this!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding? Of course I didn't. I was eating your cookies and surfing the net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you! Thanks for visiting my site. :) Don't know about you, but I think that "Shelley" will soon become synonymous with good cooking. :) I can't wait to catch up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree!! Thanks, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your website! im just a kid but i can tottaly relate to you! when i grow up up i want to go to cullinary school and i am a southern girl! your food looks to yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, sparklesrule. I say start cooking/practicing now. It's never too early to start! (Oh, and be sure to blog about it too! :))

    ReplyDelete