Monday, July 4, 2011

Julia Child's Spinach Souffle

Julia - I do not think your books are suited for me.  This is why I waited until I was with Catherine to attempt a recipe. 

I think we succeeded!  Evidence...

I think I will stick to the basics for now, though.  Below are our steps along the way:

Spinach and scallions...

Making the sauce...


Separating the eggs...


Swiss cheese...the more the merrier...

Adding yolks to the sauce...

Egg whites...the main ingredient....

Mixing it all before we...

Slowly folded in egg whites...

More egg whites...

Lining the pan with cheese and butter...Catherine noted to butter in the upwards direction to encourage it to rise...

Catherine also showed me another trick.  By scraping the edge of the pan with your finger, it will rise upward more than outward.

Impatiently waiting...30 minutes FINALLY.  Yes, we got to eat at 10.  It was a long day and a late start!
Example of patiently waiting...

And the result!


Catherine just came back from France a couple weeks ago so this was perfect.  We thought about macaroons but for some reason they scare me.  I think I will eventually get over it...

No comments:

Post a Comment